Monday, November 24, 2008

Moving on soon...Going forth to serve...

I can feel it. The end is coming soon assuming Jared passes his finals. Yes the much anticipated graduation. A goal we have worked on, put on the shelf, worked on and finally finished. A goal that we have had since before we married. Although he graduated with a two-year degree years ago we both knew that he needed to finish. Will he continue his education? My guess is YES! When I do not know. Where? Again I do not have the answer. Granted I NEVER thought we would end up at BYU. I thought that I had successfully avoided the BYU route when we met in Albany. As many of you know his decision to come to BYU was almost the end of our marriage. I was so upset that he wanted to go to BYU when there were literally FIVE universities within 20 miles of our home. WHY BYU?

As I sit here eating my humble pie (a large piece) BYU has been one of the biggest blessings in our marriage. I can see with clarity so many blessings that have come as a direct result of BYU. Michael being the biggest blessing (our infertility struggles are another post, let's not mix topics). I thought we were close before our move, but living without any family around has made us grow closer together. We have met so many wonderful who have left their footprint on our hearts. My children are learning the importance of obtaining an education. The other day when I told Tori we would soon be leaving BYU she turned to me with her big brown eyes and said "but what will BYU do without me?" I smiled and thought many people have had that same question over the years. How many people have come to BYU? How many lives have been positively impacted by their BYU experience?

As many of you know Provo has been at times challenging for me. I have come to appreciate Provo. There are many things that I will miss (ie. the ability to go the Distribution Center on Saturday night to buy a much needed object lesson for my Sunday School lesson). I think that I will miss most the goodness (for the most part) that surrounds our lives. My children are not exposed to vulgarity, profanity, etc.

As the anticipation grows each day the fear of reality becomes more prevalent. I remember what it is like to be a grown up (paying bills). How are we going to go back to being grown up again? How am I going to like living on a DAIRY FARM (yes I said the word farm)? What on earth am I going to do without a job. I have always had a job? Oh so many unknowns lie ahead, and so much excitement for what is yet to come.

Tori still thinks that Y mountain is HER mountain.

What will she do without her mountain? Hopefully she will have the opportunity to see the mountain as an 18 year-old freshman. I hope that at that time the mountain give her as much comfort as it has over the last two and half years.

3 comments:

Smathers House of Girls said...

A dairy farm? I think BYU is going to miss all of you. Their loss is our gain :)

Sarraphim said...

Dairy farm, huh? New York, right? :D I'll have to see if I can come up with an excuse (provided I can find a car...) to visit my Grammy in New Hampshire... it'll be a perfect excuse to roadtrip and see the East Coast, including all my family and FRIENDS who live (or who soon will live) out there! :) I think you'll be happy there, too. You could probably come up with plenty of things to do, it is a dairy farm, after all. And, if push comes to shove, then get on and blog for a while, or get on Facebook and chat with us, or even (and I'll give you my cell number again before you go) call and say hi, or text or whatnot. We'll miss you Laurie, and all the Parrotti Family!

Megan said...

Wow. Lots of good insight in this question asking entry. I forgot that you have had good experience with being a "grown-up" and then got a little reprieve while not having to worry about a lot of stuff. And now to go back to that will be challenging. But the most intriguing thing was that first paragraph. I can't wait for that goal to finally be reached in this house as well. Congratulations to Jared and to you all as a family!!