Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Just Words and Random Thoughts

Jared is in New York with the camara and the computer, hence, all of the pictures since the last post. This past month has been busy. Grandma Judi came for a much anticipated visit. It was one of the BEST week's of Tori's life. Mikey is not a Grandma Judi fan...yet. That worked well for Tori. As I have said before Tori and my mom are the same person, and it is almost frightening. Tori and Grandma Judi had a sleepover a a hotel, or as Tori calls it the show and tell. They swam, watched television, played video games and raided the snack area and vending machine multiple times. Did I mentioned they shopped and called people on the cell phone (Tori is proficient at using the cell phone and calls people on a whim)? In fact one day I caught her with my cell phone explaining to her brother that if "you just press 3 you can talk to Grandma Judi" (speed dial). She is cute. She is a little annoyed with me right now because I won't teach her how to text "I can read and write" (she can). However, let's be honest I cannot text. It is so frustrating and quite frankly I think texting makes me feel old because I get so frustrated. Futhermore why does a 4 year-old need to text??? In short the week with Grandma Judi was WONDERFUL, and we miss her. I wish you would just live closer.

It appears as though fall is upon us. We are in the middle of October already! Jared will be done with school in eight short weeks. We are so excited. Where are we going from here? Hopefully to New York, time will tell in the very near future.

As I mentioned earlier Jared is gone. One day down only five more to go. As I dread doing the parenting thing alone (Jared is a great Dad, but you already know that), I think of my friend and sister-in-law (she will always be my sister-in-law even if she is no longer married to Jared's brother and has remarried another man) whose husband just left for his deployment to Iraq, and I remember six days really is not that long. It is all about keeping perspective.

I am now a converted fan of Facebook. I joined Facebook two years ago when I became a Hall Advisor at BYU as a way to connect with my residents. Over the course of the last two years I have found Facebook as a very useful tool. Frequently my residents send me a message. Recently Facebook has allowed me to reconnect with some of my high school friends. It has been great to see what is going on in their lives. I have really enjoyed reconnecting with some very dear friends. I lost track of a lot of people when my parents divorced six years ago and moved from my hometown. Divorce brings with it so many residual losses that you do not anticipate (that is a blog for another day, or better yet probably a topic for a LONG overdue therapy session).

I have been awake since 4am and I am tired. I apologize for the randomness of my thoughts. I will probably edit this in the morning.

2 comments:

Megan said...

But you can't edit it before I read it. :) Laurie, you're great. Thanks for the random thoughts.

Smathers House of Girls said...

6 days and a year are both very hard. We've picked up a pretty good routine and try to stay busy.
Tori is too cute. I think it's so funny that she had a "show and tell" What fun! Lacey isn't really a big fan of my parents yet. She tolerates them which works. They're so busy with the other grandkids, I don't think they find it offensive. I hope Jared gets the job in NY!!