Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Guilt

One of the emotions that I feel on a daily basis since I became a mother. Am I doing enough? Am I teaching my children enough? Am I teaching my children correct principles? Am I patient enough (probably not)? Will they be good and righteous people? Will they be helpful and kind to others? I gave up a long time ago comparing my children to other children the same age. It just made me crazy and I realized when Tori was a baby that comparing her to others was unfair to her. I honestly hope that my children will be the best that they can be.

My guilt level has reached new heights since Michael's birth. Working with one child is ok, but two children is tough. I try to be a good employee and mother, and I always feel as though I am falling short in both areas. I feel as though I am constantly juggling all of my roles, but not very well. So while reading today in the Book of Mormon Nephi's words brought comfort to my soul

I was overcome because of my afflictions, for I considered that mine afflictions were great above all... (Nephi 15:5)

Ok so Nephi was talking about the destruction of his people. We have similar concerns, and Nephi inquired of the Lord. Now I have inquired about my guilt numerous times. What comforted me was that even Nephi at times felt afflicted. It is just part of life. Does this mean that my guilt has been lessened? A little bit. More importantly it has reminded me that I need Heavenly Father's help as I raise His children. I often forget that my children are His children too. He wants them to succeed as much (maybe more) than I do.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Laurie, I know I'm not the only one who can vouch for the fact that you're a great mother as well as a great employee. More than once I sat in staff meeting and wished that I was as put-together as you are. And you're right about not comparing kids to other kids. There's no point to it! It just makes parents feel good when their child is "superior" to another, but really those comparisons are unimportant (and often inaccurate) in the long run.