Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Am I making a difference?

We began a habit reading The Book of Mormon at lunch time about a month ago. Family scripture study has been a struggle usually because of poor timing (ie. everyone is too tired). Lunch time works well for our family....well at least for some of us. Tori has been less than cooperative (ie. naughty, leaving the room and my personal favorite she pretends to snore). We have been consistent and not punished her for avoiding the scripture study. Each time it has gotten progressively better (less snoring more listening). Today we had a wonderful experience. We ate lunch while listening to her favorite music The Little Mermaid soundtrack. I went and got the Book of Mormon. She ran over to the computer and turned off her music (without being asked) . I asked her what she was doing, her reply "it is time to read the Book of Mormon". AS I read she began asking a lot of questions. Who is the Lord? Why do Laman and Lemuel fight? Why do Nephi and Lehi have visions? What is the world? I cannot even begin to descibe what a choice experience we had today. I am so grateful that she is learning and paying attention. I am grateful for a wise husband who helped us keep going when i wanted to give up in frustration. More importantly I know (once again) that there are blessings in being obedient. I also understand that reading will be a constant battle, but we will do it! Today I would have to say...YES I am making a difference!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hooray!! I think the hardest part is when you are first starting a new habit or ritual and aren't quite sure if it's going to work or not. Way to stick to it so you could then have this experience. Tori is amazing. As are you.

Nola said...

You are a great example! Thanks for posting your parenting success story.