Thursday, March 19, 2009

Decisions....Shoes....Bad parenting....

One of my favorite lines from the movie The Little Mermaid is said by Ursula, the sea witch, when Ariel is given the choice between getting human legs in exchange for her voice. Ursula says to Ariel "life is full of tough choices isn't it?" Yes life is full of tough choices. For this reason I have not updated our blog recently. Jared and I have been making some very tough choices, and although we feel as though we have made the right choice the truth is that with any choice made there are trade-offs. So we are headed to graduate school, mostly likely in Utah. Graduate school applications are due in June so we have a few more weeks of the unknown. Although we are disappointed that we are not going back to New York right now, we feel so much peace about our decision.

I have been telling Jared for weeks that I thought Mikey needed new shoes. He said he thought they were fine since his foot still went into the shoe. So I measured his foot and he wears a 7 1/2 and his shoes were 5 1/2. Obviously we bought him new shoes we put them on his feet and the kid ran through Dillard's. He admires his shoes daily.

Have you ever felt like a bad parent? You know the days when you feel as though you are not as patient as you should have been with your children? Ok maybe that is just me, but I was in Wal-Mart the other day and realized maybe I am not so bad. There was a mother and daughter shopping together. The daughter was about 7-8 years old and is trying to put her hat into the cart and the mother says "if you put your hat in the cart I am going to hurt your dog." Seriously I was stunned. I have not heard anything like that sinceI was a social worker. So maybe I am not so bad.

Next post pictures...I promise. I have some cute ones..

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Whoa! I would have to agree you do not fall into the bad parent category. Have you ever been on the blog Good Mommy Bad Mommy? The subtitle is "Did your child die from making her drink too much water today? No? Then you are a good mommy."

And I love that Michael can run in his new shoes.

And you better be careful or you will get trapped in Utah. But I understand the hard choices thing...we have seen some great blessings for being here in these turbulent time. I told JaDee i am grateful, just not happy. Can you be both?

Smathers House of Girls said...

Awww man! Well, I'm happy for you anyway :) Maybe someday i'll get out of NY :)

Amy said...

I'm proud of you for making those tough choices together. It will all work out.

I always feel like a better parent when I'm in Wal-Mart. I hear something similar every time I'm there. Unfortunately, the place also makes my temper short with my own kids - something in the Wal-Mart air, I suppose. :)

Cami! said...

I was going to make a comment about you staying in Utah (YAY!) however after reading the hurt your dog comment, that one seems a little more worthy of a comment- haha! hilarious!

Love Cami

lori said...

Anxious to hear all the details. Yes, life is FULL of tough choices!! Glad for Mikey's new shoes!

Vicky said...

I'm glad you feel peace about your decision, even if it's not what you really WANT. I can't believe how big Michael's feet are! And finally, you're definitely not a bad parent. Everyone has those days. I am shocked at what that woman said to her daughter!

Shauna said...

Good luck on the application process! I am glad you all were able to make a decision you can live with.

haha! I was on the phone with you when you told Jared not to put on Michael's shoes because they were too small.

AND you are a wonderful mother!